EXPEDITIONARY Learning Middle
7:50 AM - 2:26 PM
(students should arrive by 7:45)
Syracuse Expeditionary Learning Middle School (ELMS) serves students in grades 6 - 8. At ELMS students benefit from a personalized and academically rigorous atmosphere. Curriculum is organized into interdisciplinary "expeditions" and teachers often use the greater Syracuse community as their classroom. ELMS teachers work daily with small groups of students, called Crews, to help students develop strong relationships with each other and deeper connections with their school experience.
ELMS staff, students and families have formed a welcoming community at the school. They collaborate to create an environment that fosters lifelong learning through the expeditionary process of inquiry, collaboration, discovery and adventure. As a result, ELMS students work effectively within diverse settings. Through varied experiences, students contribute in a positive manner to their school and community as upstanders rather than bystanders. Success at ELMS helps students to develop a strong desire to achieve in high school, college, and career.
- Student must be a resident of the City of Syracuse.
- Student must be a current 5th grader entering 6th grade in September 2015.
- Successful completion of online application, including all essay questions.
- Student demonstrates one or more of the following criteria:
- strong interpersonal/leadership skills
- academically engaged in project based and group learning
- an interest in being involved in project-based learning opportunities and working in small groups with peers
- history of being a victim of bullying or harassment
- challenges or concerns that put the student at-risk for low academic performance or social isolation
To ensure a fair and equitable placement process, the Syracuse City School District will conduct a lottery when the number of students accepted exceeds the number of seats available. Each student will be assigned a random number and entered into our Smart Choice Lottery. Students who are accepted and entered into the lottery, but not selected will be assigned to the waitlist for the 2015-2016 school year.