Health Careers @ Henninger High School
7:50 AM-2:26 PM
Medical Assistant Program
The Certified Medical Assistant Program is designed for students interested in obtaining a Medical Assistant Certification upon graduation from high school. The program provides information and skills required for certification as a medical assistant. Students gain essential competencies and accumulate a body of knowledge that provides a foundation for becoming a Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) and a Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA). Students enrolled in the Medical Assistant pathway have the opportunity to learn how to take a patient's history, prepare examination rooms, assist physicians during examinations, prepare and transport specimens, prepare a patient for an EKG and filing and front desk responsibilities. Certified Medical Assistants may advance to other positions through experience or additional training.
Nursing is the fastest-growing occupation in the United States. Nurses make up the majority of the healthcare industry and that number is going up, with 581,500 more nursing jobs by 2018. Nursing is a blend of science and technology with the art of caring and compassion. Nursing students at Henninger will learn to provide preventative and restorative healthcare to patients in a variety of settings:
- General and surgical hospitals
- Doctors' offices
- Nursing care facilities
- Outpatient facilities
- Home health services
Choose your pathway to success today!
- Student must be a resident of the City of Syracuse.
- Student must be a current 8th grader entering 9th grade in September 2015.
- Successful completion of online application, including all essay questions.
- Demonstrated interest in Medical Assistant or Nursing Program, as determined by response to essay questions and phone or in person interview.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully engage in and complete a rigorous academic program.
- Successfully participate in an interview.
To ensure a fair and equitable placement process, the Syracuse City School District will conduct a lottery when the number of students accepted exceeds the number of seats available. Each student will be assigned a random number and entered into our Smart Choice Lottery. Students who are accepted and entered into the lottery, but not selected will be assigned to the waitlist for the 2015-2016 school year.